Thursday, December 11, 2008

Putting it to The Test

So now we will find out if all this personal branding and networking, social and otherwise, is all that I believe it to be.

I was laid off yesterday. (Along with many many others. I would put it at 50 ish people).

I came home, grabbed a fresh notebook and got to work. I opened up linkedin and exported my contacts to an excel spreadsheet. I sorted out the people from the company and sent them all an email. I updated my contact info for them and told them if they needed any help with on-going projects we were involved in to give me a call.

I then notified the recruiters in my network. Two of which are very good friends. I was excited to see how fast they went into action. I already have a couple of meetings set up. I am tracking two legitimate leads already. I feel pretty good.

My network has really responded with kind words and offers of support. They have also taken action. Which is way cool.

Today I am asking for recommendations on linkedin. Better to strike while the iron is hot. I need to get a new mobile phone. And I have to get some decent paper for resumes. I seem to have misplaced my current marketing plan - I think it is at the old place. I can go get it.

So far - two things have happened. a) my network is holding up and doing what I have hoped it would do. and b) I have good brand recognition. In talking with people - they "get" me. Even the recruiters.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are moving forward at great speed! Congrats on taking action with your well-maintained network.

    Here are some other things I would like you to consider (should read "do")- Sit down and make budget cuts, eliminate everything you don't absolutely need immediately, then, calculate how long you can survive after unemployment. Now, with this date, find a job today, that will hire you on their payroll to work for them beginning then. Unlikely, maybe, but, it will absolutely provide piece-of-mind.
    I am a realist, remember!

    ReplyDelete