Sunday, September 26, 2010

"The Art of the Start" on Execution

I really can't recommend The Art of the Start enough. I consider this a core, must read book. I'm very fond of the chapter: "The Art of Bootstrapping". It is all about execution. You can have the best idea, the best people but none of it matters unless you can flat out GET.IT.DONE.

Kawasaki provides a few recommendations for how to execute:

  1. Set and communicate goals. Everyone working from the same playbook.

  2. Measure progress. "What gets measured gets done." Kawasaki quotes this too. Corny? Yes. Does it work? EVERY TIME!

  3. Establish a single point of accountability. Its motivational.

  4. Reward the achievers. Forget the people sitting in the back seat.

  5. Follow through until an issue is done or irrelevant. Kill it.

  6. Heed Morpheus. Get real.

  7. Establish a CULTURE of execution. "...execution is a culture that produces a set of organizationwide habits."


Let that last bit sink in.
"...execution is a CULTURE that PRODUCES a set of organizationwide HABITS."

I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment