Monday, January 10, 2011

Getting a Job in 2011

I know a couple of people that are re-entering the job market after years of not working or only working part-time. I thought I would share some thoughts and words of encouragement.

First. You need some kind of marketing vehicle. Traditionally, this is called a resume. Right now, I have three documents. I have your traditional resume - HOWEVER, it is a way cool resume updated for the 21st century. I have a Marketing Plan - which between you and me, I should update. I have something called a "pre-resume" which is something I recently read about and thought I would give it a try. It is a one-page combo of a resume (with limited info) and the meaty part of your marketing plan. If you need help with any of these things, you need to throw a little bit of money at Hannah. She will tighten you up.

Second. You need to get yourself on Linkedin. And you need to get yourself a complete profile. And you need a picture. Linkedin is a part of your marketing toolkit. But - more important - Linkedin is a giant relational database. It is not Facebook. You cannot play Farmville on it. But, if you work it, and use it to your advantage, it will help you find people inside of companies where you would like to go work. It is a tool to aid you in your most important job searching task...

NETWORKING.

Third. I don't have a college degree. Yes - I went to college. I started as a Political Science major, got dis-illusioned in a hurry, switched to English Lit because it was fun and easy to read books and argue with people (two of my favorite things to do ). But ultimately got bored because I was working full time and going to school full time and making money and LEARNING a load of stuff that I still practice TODAY...20 (shut up) ish years later.

Not having a degree hasn't hurt me. Yes, there have been a couple of companies that wouldn't even look at me. Too rigid for me anyway. They did me a favor. It hasn't hurt for two reasons. One - I hustle. I work hard. I achieve results. I win. Two - I focus on BUILDING and MAINTAINING RELATIONSHIPS. Some of you know this as "networking". Every job I have had since I started delivering newspapers - with the exception of a very few of them - came from relationships and recommendations. In fact, the crappiest jobs, were jobs where I went in cold.

Starting in 2007/2008 when the world went ape-shit, HR departments decided they could add even LESS value by REQUIRING a degree from everyone. In fairness, they did this because there were just an overwhelming number of candidates for every gig. There are stats. You can look them up.

None of this matters to you though. You don't answer ads on Monster or (sweet baby Jesus!) ads in a newspaper. No - you are new school. You build relationships and market yourself. While all the sheep are pounding on the front door, you have a close personal relationship walking you and your kick-ass marketing document (resume) to the hiring manager and and she tells that manager what a total rock star you are and how sick it would be to have you on the team.

Talk to Hannah. Or come with me on the 19th to her career club in Canandaigua.

2 comments:

  1. Mike you have such a gift! Your posts are so clear and naturally spoken that they hit the reader upside the head with pleasure. You and Seth, and sometimes Guy Kawasaki!

    Thanks for your originality, honesty, real world perspective and your great ideas. All invaluable!

    You must become a blogger of wide repute, because so many people need to hear your voice. Right Hannah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! I love your straight shooting message. Referrals to jobs account for over 30% of the placement rate. That is the largest single source of how jobs are being filled.

    It is about using relationships and the backdoor! That's where friends enter your home, isn't it?

    Many thanks for the shout out!

    PS: yes, Graeme, Mike is a blogger!

    ReplyDelete