Sunday, March 13, 2011

Books: As You Think/As a Man Thinketh

I just finished reading James Allen's As You Think. Originally published in 1904, this is one of the original self-help books. Although I go to Ben Franklin. I think I am going to re-read the Autobiography as a matter of fact.

Anyway, you can get through this book in an hour or so. In a nutshell - there would be no "The Secret" without James Allen. This is the "power of positive thinking" - "positive mental attitude" - "positive visualization" and whatever else you've got.

He gets a little carried away when he starts talking about health. If you think healthy thoughts you will be healthy. If not, you will get some horrible sickness and die. You could probably rip those pages out of the book and not miss them.

Otherwise, a very solid book. An easy read. Very good for a "tune up". I've been involved in a lot of change recently which always breeds uncertainty. I found this work to be comforting. It helped me focus my thoughts. I think it helped me maintain a positive focus.

If you are on a path of self-discovery, this should be in your library (or on your kindle).

No comments:

Post a Comment