Thought I would post a list of the books I read in 2012. They are listed in the order in which I finished them.
The Profession - Steven Pressfield
Pressfield shows up on this list many times. Four times with his own books and a couple of times with recommendations. I will tell you right now that next year I plan on wrapping up the non-fiction and I already have a couple of recommendations queued up for 2013. I love him.
The Story of Stuff - Annie Leonard
Getting Real - 37 Signals - Jason Fried
I started learning and implementing Agile - a quality process framework for software development this year. Start here.
Eating Well for Optimum Health - Dr. Andrew Weil
This was a re-read. But I like to re-visit Dr. Weil from time to time. He helped me lose 100 pounds. I'm struggling with the last 50 or so, but he brings the science to getting healthy.
11/22/63 - Stephen King
Stephen King tackles the JFK murder. Loved it.
Agile Project Management with Scrum - Roman Pichler
If you are learning about Agile, read this book after Getting Real.
The Heart and the Fist - Eric Greitens
Loved it so much I bought it for my Kindle. Will most likely re-read in 2013. And I think he has another book coming out.
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Geek fest. Really liked this. Top 3 fiction this year for me.
The Virtues of War - Steven Pressfield
Alexander examining his life.
Eagle in the Snow - Wallace Breem
meh.
The $100 Startup - Chris Guillebeau.
I really liked their one page business plan.
How Will Your Measure Your Life - Clayton Christensen
Renewal 1 - 10 - JF Perkins
Top 3 fiction for me. E-book(s)! Post apocalyptic survival. Loved the serialized format. Great story. Kept me riveted. Was hard to walk away from.
Standout - Marcus Buckingham
Get it. Read it. Take the assessment. Learn something about yourself. Then go read Christensen's book. The combo will change you. In a good way. Read my series of posts here, here, here, and here.
Thinking in Systems - A Primer - Donella Meadows
Great introduction to systems thinking. I liked putting the science to what I do every.waking. moment. :) Read my review.
After The Apocalypse - Maureen McHugh
Read my review.
The Warrior Ethos - Steven Pressfield
My favorite of the Pressfield books I read this year. I liked the format of the book. We are ALL warriors. This is a book that I found myself picking up and thumbing through again and again. Read my review.
In Rommel’s Backyard- Alistair Timpson
I thought this was a Pressfield recommendation. I think it was James Roach.
Little Brother - Cory Doctrow
HBR: On Managing Yourself
Acutally, add this to the list. Buckingham, Christensen and this compilation. Just do it. Read my review.
No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden - Mark Owen
Semi-controversial but well written. I cranked through this book. I am a military history fanboy so this is squarely in my wheel house.
The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
I read this with my daughter at the end of the summer. Looking forward to seeing the movie adaptation with her as well.
The 4 Hour Body - Tim Ferriss
Read my review.
The Lost World of the Kalahari - Laurens Van Der Post
THIS was a Pressfield recommendation. Read my review.
Makers - The New Industrial Revolution - Chris Anderson
I started out the year with The Story of Stuff which examines the damage the supply does to the environment. I closed the year with this examination on the state of manufacturing and the proposition that manufacturing is returning to the U.S. just at a smaller, more customized scale. I think this is a must read. Read my review.
Dinah of Seneca - Corrinna Lawson
Crazy town book. Vikings and Romans in New York! Read my review.
Last of the Amazons - Steven Pressfield
Closed out the year with some Pressfield.
That's a pretty typical year quantity wise. I think it was an exceptional year quality wise. Fiction and non fiction! I might squeeze in another one before the 31st. I am officially on vacation until January 2nd!
No comments:
Post a Comment