Monday, May 30, 2011

From GRS: 5 Career Moves with Exponential Returns

I am a big fan of the site: Get Rich Slowly. The other day they ventured into career territory with a post from April Dykman (I like her bio): Five Career Moves with Exponential Returns. If you earn and spend money you should be reading GRS. It has helped put me and my wife (and family) on a MUCH better financial path.

Anyway....love the tips here.

  1. Send out hand-written thank you notes on nice stationery. I still have the last one I received - from Jen Sertl.

  2. Invite a mentor out to lunch. Yes! And I need to do this. I realized the other day that I have been lax in following my own preachings.

  3. Keep your resume current. Seriously, if I have to tell you why you need to do this please leave now and don't come back.

  4. Keep a brag folder. I like this one because its not included in lists typical of this nature. April points out: "keep positive notes, e-mails about a job well-done, and kudos from your boss, and file them away in a folder." Do it. Refer it. Often.

  5. Read an industry-related book. Love it. Or a magazine or a journal. Keep current. You have to keep feeding your brain. Don't get stuck.


April goes on to remind us that we are the CEOs of our selves. Indeed. Thank you.

I am in the woods. I don't know how to get out just yet. But at least I know I am in the woods.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment