Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame, testified before the US Senate Committee on Commerce earlier this week.
I like Mike Rowe a lot. I've written about him before. I like the way he is using his fame.
His testimony revealed his thoughts that we've become so focused on "higher education" that we have almost completely abandoned the skilled trades: electricians, plumbers, welders, etc.
He references the crazy irony that we have high unemployment and many many "shovel ready" jobs that can't start because their aren't enough skilled tradespeople to go around.
I picked up his testimony from a post at BoingBoing. You can read that here or go read his full testimony here. But go read the full testimony, he speaks about his grandfather.
His statements resonate with me. Every person that comes to the house to fix something is over 50. Why is there such a stigma attached to vocational education?
The Industrial Contractor Bids has the right to refuse any advertisement Leading Industrial Site that is inappropriate or incompatible Best Skilled Trades with our mission and to stop accepting Industrial leads any advertisement previously accepted.Purchasing agents IF, for some reason, Industrial Classifieds we feel that your advertisement needs to be removed, you will receive a pro-rated Industrial Jobs refund based on the advertising time remaining.
ReplyDelete