Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Mike Lally as "The Equalizer"


Last time, we started breaking down Marcus Buckingham's new tool, StandOut. Today, we will look at my two "Roles".

My edge: Equalizer
My multiplier: Creator

My ultimate goal is to understand how these relate to my StrengthFinder results. I confess that my initial reaction is that of confusion.

Let's look at the Equalizer role first. According to the book, I begin by asking, "What is the right thing to do?" I come from a place of understanding that everything is connected. I understand and subscribe to Chaos Theory. Or at least Jeff Goldblum's definition of it in Jurassic Park.

You see the commitments we make to one another as threads that connect us and allow us to share in each other's success...At your best, you are our conscience, helping us realize how much we owe one another and how much we rely on one another. You hold us together. 
That is pretty heavy.

And it rings true. I can look back at least 20-30 years and point to examples.

It goes on to say that I am a "levelheaded person." I like to have the universe in balance. I am a black and white kind of person. I am predictable and consistent. (My wife calls this "boring" but ok.)

The format of the book is helpful. For each role it provides tips in the following areas:

  • How to Describe Yourself ("I am totally transparent. What you see if what you get.")
  • How to Make an immediate impact
  • How to take your performance to the next level 
    • This is interesting - Seek out situations where people need objective mediation. AND - Develop your skills as a mediator. 
  • What to watch out for 
  • How to win as a leader (bring the structure, foundation, framework)
  • How to win as a manager 
  • How to win in sales
  • How to win in client service (I tell the good news and the bad news. Clients trust me.)
So - I was really thinking this is voodoo. All of it rings true. And I really like the format. You will definitely take something away from this tool.

OK - next time we will look at my multiplier. And then I still need to figure out how this relates to StrengthFinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment