Thursday, December 13, 2007

Know Your Strengths Part 1

Over the summer, I embarked on an exercise to review my personal brand and make sure I am in alignment between what I am saying/broadcasting to the world via this blog, my resume, and my personal marketing plan and what I am really good at doing.

I took a series of assessments. I pulled out my DISC assessment, still my favorite. I took a Values in Action (VIA) Strengths Assessment (which I believe I found through the Brazen Careerist), I bought the Discover Your Strengths book and took the Clifton Strengths Finder and I dug out something called CultureLink from a speaker I saw at a group I was once a part of many years ago.

I then collected the findings and created a composite view of my particular strengths. I am going to share those findings with you over the course of several posts and ultimately post my composite.

First up was the DISC assessment. I am a big fan of the DISC process and after having gone through this exercise spend the $25 on the DISC and you won't have to worry about the rest. For the sake of the exercise, it was good to validate. It was a good scientific approach. But the DISC, for me, is the grand-daddy of the assessments. Get the comprehensive report and you will learn things about yourself that will scare you. :)

DISC says I am:

Motivated by:





  • Having control over work environment


  • Directing other people’s activities


  • Being offered new opportunities


  • Situations where he is held accountable solely for results and not how results are achieved.


  • Opportunities for advancement


  • Rewards for achieving goals


  • Control over factors that affect the quality of his performance


  • Environments where quality and accuracy are rewarded


  • Logical, systematic approaches


Preferred Environments





  • Maximum freedom to determine how things are done


  • Fast paced, results oriented


  • Performance measurements and rewards based on achieving agreed-upon results


  • Opportunity to control events


  • System for performance which provides specific feedback


  • Business-like atmosphere where people are task oriented


Tends to Avoid





  • Situations where he has no control


  • Appearing soft or weak


  • Situations requiring routine, predictable behaviors day after day


  • Being closely managed by others


  • Having to check in frequently


  • Having to report step by step how he is doing a task


  • Ambiguous situations where his performance is criticized


  • Being held accountable for quality outcomes in situations where he has insufficient control


  • Having to defend inferior performance in products or services


  • Reacting quickly to situations requiring analysis


  • Responding to others without time to evaluate possible consequences


  • Emotionally charged situations where he may react and lose his reserved, detached manner





Strengths:


  • Leader, change leader, create sense of urgency


  • Think and react quickly, tempered by desire to explore all possible outcomes


  • Love, embrace change/variety


  • Value quality and accuracy


  • Big picture/strategic thinker

  • Can apply technology to business needs


The 3 major themes that came out of my DISC assessment are:

QUALITY FOCUSED

STRATEGIC MINDED

CHANGE LEADER





Next time I will post the results from the VIA Strengths Finder.

No comments:

Post a Comment