Saturday, January 26, 2008

"The Dirtiest Mind in Business"

Fast Company has a great cover story on Mike Rowe, star/host of the Discovery Channel's number one show, "Dirty Jobs". I will confess that I have never watched the show. But after reading this VERY compelling article by Ellen McGirt I have queued a few up on the Tivo.

I am linking to this article because Rowe stands up as an excellent example of controlling his personal brand. His story also illustrates how, in the earlier part of his career, he was not controlling his brand. He at least was not thinking about it.

He opted to stick with his own entourage of his attorney and eschew the pitch of the Endeavor agency to package him up as "the next media supernova". McGirt quotes Rowe as saying:
If I'm going to be a package, I'd just as soon wrap it myself.

Go read the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment