I am a paid subscriber to Blizzard's World of Warcraft. [Thorium Brotherhood server. Blue Horde Group Guild. Mokokokanuku. Level 65 Tauren hunter.] There. I said it. It is out there for all to see. My wife is mortified.
But the authors of this article ENCOURAGE me to continue. Being a gamer is GOOD!
We believe that gamers who embody this [gamer] disposition are better able than their non-gamer counterparts to thrive in the twenty-first-century workforce.
Thrive!
The authors outline their five key attributes of the gamer disposition.
- They are bottom-line oriented. They like to be evaluated. I am ranked by level. But not all level 65's are created equal. I am ranked in my guild for degree of usefulness to the guild. (Soon to be "promoted" from simply a "member" to a "veteran".) I am ranked among different groups/races/factions in the game. And I CRAVE better equipment. It is ALL about gear acquisition.
- They understand the power of diversity. I part ways with the authors here. Diversity is KEY in a group setting. In Warcraft there are different classes. Sometimes you need to assemble TEAMS of five or more to take on a particular PROJECT. Within that team you MUST have different skill sets.
- They thrive on change. There is always something new to explore, find, crush. But, to the authors' point - the gamers CREATE most of the change. Their actions or in-action drives the next steps. Gamers do not simply manage change; they create it, thrive on it, seek it out.
- They see learning as fun. When I play, I am solving problems. This ALWAYS involves analyzing my resources, developing a plan, sometimes interacting with other players and using the right tools to solve the problem.
- They marinate on the "edge." Gamers are creative thinkers. They seek out alternative solutions to problems. Gamers seek the "edges" for new insights that helps them understand the environment more.
The authors summarize:
Together, these five attributes make for employees who are flexible, resourceful, improvisational, eager for a quest, believers in meritocracy, and foes of bureaucracy.
Just don't let the ninja IT guys open up a super secret connection through the firewall. That won't be good for the career.
No comments:
Post a Comment